We began because of the very pressing needs of both our graduating students and area businesses. Our students need quality jobs, and businesses in our community need a prepared workforce and can only grow if we meet their hiring needs. 80% of our students nationally are not going to complete a 4-year degree and need to be prepared and connected to the great jobs and career paths in our communities.
The Future Career Academy model is meant to be replicated and sustainable in communities to tie together businesses and schools that are defined by geography. The program reinforces a sense of community and brings them together to support the needs of both.
Preparing and Connecting students to the great jobs in their community
Full-year integrated approach in the classroom and in partnership with the community focused on students not attending college
All English 4 and English 4 Honors students are enrolled in the Future Career Academy. Generally, these students may not be on a college-bound track.
The Future Career Academy program includes:
1) Required state curriculum that has been refocused on workforce development assignments by teachers and includes topics such as resume writing, interviewing skills, dress for success, how to advance in a career, etc.
2) Videos including:
- Welcome and introduction to the Future Career Academy
- Internships and Certification Programs Overview
- In the second year of a new Future Career Academy, Industry sector videos (two companies profiled in each) highlighting starting positions, salaries and opportunities for advancement in each industry.
3) Financial Literacy is offered to introduce financial concepts and good money management skills in preparation for employment and earning a paycheck
4) Community and Business Connection Opportunities including:
- Great American Teach-In in November
- A panel presentation featuring business and community leaders
- Business Field Trip in January
- An opportunity to visit multiple businesses in the community
- Future Fair in April
- A hiring event featuring dozens of area employers
- Signing Day in May
- An opportunity to highlight select students who are entering certification programs, apprenticeships or a new job